Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Essay 4: Persuasive

My topic will be whether or not the new crack down in the NFL for helmet to helmet hits is beneficial.  I will probably take the side that it is beneficial, but I'll decide after I have all my information and sources together.  My main points could be how it helps (or doesn't help) the players, how it trickles down to college/highschool/younger players, and lastly how it benefits the NFL, or maybe the viewers.  Any thoughts?
Change..
three points...
1. injury--it's already a violent sport
2. bad example for younger players--you can jsut change rules for younger players
3. bad hits give NFL a bad image--what about other sports? i.e. boxing, hockey, etc

NFL Rule Changes: Helmet-To-Helmet Hits Will Lead To Suspensions

Suspensions for NFL players who commit helmet-to-helmet hits on "defenseless" players are coming, beginning this Sunday, like it or not.
NFL football operations executive Ray Anderson told ESPN Radio's "Mike and Mike in the Morning" earlier today that following a weekend of vicious hits to the head the league is going to act.
"We are committed to safety at the highest level," he said. "We're not going to be apologetic, we're not going to be defensive about it."
The league suffered a rash of helmet-to-helmet hits over the weekend. Brandon Meriweather of New England on Todd Heap of Baltimore, Dunta Robinson of Atlanta on DeSean Jackson of Philadelphia and James Harrison of Pittsburgh twice on Cleveland Browns players.
Here is the Meriweather hit.

The league is concerned not only about the hits, but about the attitude of defensive players who are cavalierly shrugging off fines. Former player Rodney Harrison, fined more than $200,000 in his career for excessive hits, exemplified that attitude. He got suspended once for a helmet-to-helmet hit in 2002.
"You didn’t get my attention when you fined me 5 grand, 10 grand, 15 grand," he said during the pregame broadcast for "Sunday Night Football." "You got my attention when I got suspended and I had to get away from my teammates and I disappointed my teammates from not being there. But you have to suspend these guys. These guys are making millions of dollars."
Anderson told "Mike & Mike" that the league feels it must go further to get players to live within the rules.
"We've got to get the message to players that these devastating hits and head shots will be met with a very necessary higher standard of accountability," Anderson said. "We have to dispel the notion that you get one free pass in these egregious or flagrant shots."
That likely won't sit well with all defensive players. That feeling has already been expressed by James Harrison, who defended his hits against the Browns.
"If I get fined for that, it’s going to be a travesty," Harrison said. "They didn’t call (a penalty) on that. There’s no way I could be fined for that. It was a good, clean, legit hit. … I didn’t hit that hard, to be honest with you. When you get a guy on the ground, it’s a perfect tackle."
I would expect that games around the NFL this Sunday will be flag-fests. Anything that even looks like a hit to the head is going to draw a penalty. Like it or not.

3 comments:

  1. This is great topic. I understand the NFL wanting to protect its player, but it's their career. They are going to have to take risk of getting injured because that's part of the game. Just as it's a risk of soldiers getting shot for their job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea, however make sure you post both sides, although i agree with the statement above, i also disagree, it is their job but they have a right to safety as the hits that are being called are malicious, and yes its a soldiers job to fight, but on the inverse side we dont send them on blatantly suicidal missions either, great job so far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with James. It's a difficult topic to go with. But you have great supporting details!

    ReplyDelete